Member log in
Register

| Home >> Forum >> Age of aircraft still flying!!

0 item in your cart
Search :  

Age of aircraft still flying!!

Return to the forum index
Post a message for this thread

Share |

nervous flyer

Number of messages:

Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 05 Sep 18:03

Is it just me, or should there be a concern about some of the aircraft still flying after say 20/25yrs or so of age. I have looked at the age of some aircraft with some carriers ie. Ryanair and Jet2 and was very suprised of the age of some of there aircraft. I'm sure if people new they would probably not fly with them. I know safety with these two carriers is of the uttermost importance, but surely with the age of some of these planes they are taking huge risks!!

anne

User profil Private message Suggest deletion    

stewart

Number of messages:
  Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 06 Sep 23:06

On the other hand Ryanair are in the process of replacing their B732 with new B738.

I would prefer to travel in a well maintained aircraft that has been around for a few years rather than a newer one that has not been looked after.

Can you quantify what you mean by huge risks ? Is it the age and state of the air frame, the quality of maintenance and inspection regime. Remember is was a newish A330 that Air Transat fitted an incorrect part to when is had to glide across the Atlantic for an emergency landing at a military base.

Stewart

lildannyellis

Number of messages:

Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 06 Sep 8:58

Excuse me lol - I live in Coventry (near Coventry-Baginton Airport EGBE/CVT)

Av u seen the state of the planes what the Atlantique group fly on Ad-Hoc cargo services?!?! Genuine! - DC-6's DC-3's and Electras, everytime one flies over my house i cringe thinking its going to break up in mid-air over my house.

Then emeral air cargo fly in the perthetic shorts skyvans - they look like there made out of cardboard! How old are the shorts skyvans anyway?

Oh what Id do to live near a modern airport.......... (anybody wana swap houses? must live near heathrow or gatwick :P)

Why can the atliantique group get permission to fly such crappy old planes?

757Lad

Number of messages:

Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 06 Sep 11:18

Providing MX is well controlled, there shouldnt be a problem. Jet2 would not have bought the aircraft if there was going to be serious MX issues. Although every airline has tech issues, jet2 is seeing them more frequently recently, with quite a few hydraulic issues coming to light, however..these are sorted out and the plane is on its way.

An old aircraft doesnt necessarily mean its been done into the ground, it just shows that its lasted a long time and does its job efficiently even though sometimes it might have to see the doctor because its feeling poorly :)

I dont judge the age of aircraft, i flew with EXS from LBA-AMS in feb on CELC, and tbh, i felt fine in it..there was no sign of wear and tear and everything looked spot on, even though i knew the actual age, i felt safe.

All the best anne and the rest of the posters

John

stewart

Number of messages:
  Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 06 Sep 18:20

I have just recently seen the RAF Lancaster flying out of Prestwick and its airframe is over 60 years old. It has recently had a new main strut fitted.

I work in an safety critical industry which relies on regular and routine maintenance to ensure that the equipment is kept in tip-top condition to ensure that it is fit for use.

Going back my original point I know of occasions (the Air Transat A330 is the most well known) when a modern aircraft was not looked after correctly resulting in a dangerous situation occurring.

Last time I flew in North America, the seat belt fixing in the seat allocated to my wife was broken and that was a relatively (less that two years old) Boeing 737. On another occasion, my seat base was not fitting correctly, and it was found that someone had try to fitted an A320 seat base into a B767 frame. It does not go and slides out of place. Again an aircraft less than ten years old. If the maintenance of the pax safety equipment is not being cared for, are all the necessary inspections being carried out on the airframe, control surfaces, etc. What about the Airbus which lost an engine on take-off over New York?

I would suggest that the Atlantique group aircraft are well looked after. There are still a lot of DC3 flying reliabily around the world. Providing the airframe is properly looked after and inspected it will last a long time in a safe condition.

I work with material experts who carry out NDT inspections on safety critical structures, and one came from the aircraft industry. I know that he feels comfortable refusing to sign off an inspection if he is not happy with the results.

I work with safety critical instrumentation however even though I have to deal with this type of high integtriy control and instrumentation equipment, I would still have to climb a high hurdle to be certified to work on aircraft.

Stewart

SiGuy

Number of messages:

Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 10 Apr 9:34

Anne it is not the age which matters so much as how well maintained their aircraft are. When I worked for Air New Zealand, Qantas started flying some ex Ansett 737s which were only 15 years old but they were badly worn out and poorly maintained.

Northwest Airlines in USA flies DC-9s which are nearly three decades old but they are meticulously maintained. They would need to be aswell.

Also back in the early 1990s after a Hawaiian 737 lost it's roof the aviation regulators and Boeing ordered all old Boeing jets to have their fuselage rivets drilled out, for joints to be inspected with Xrays and for the aircraft to be practically rebuilt.

I assure you any older aircraft in Western countries will have been painstakingly stripped down, overhauled and carefully rebuilt perhaps once or twice in their careers.

No family car ever gets that level of maintenance. You should not be worried unless you go to some third world countries.

By the way those ex Ansett 737s are gone now and Qantas generally has an excellent reputation.

EI-DUB

Number of messages:
  Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 10 Apr 10:46

Ryanair have completely replaced their 737-200 variants. Their fleet is now solely 737-800.

If the planes are well maintained age is not a huge factor. the only problem is with older planes they tend to feel old age like everything and become more prone to small mechanical problems.

During last summer i flew on two 737-200s one of which was 24 and the other 27 years old. Both were perfectly safe.

Flying.Dutchman

Number of messages:

Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 10 Apr 13:36

Concerning Jet2.com I want to mention that the a/c are in good shame. Furthermore, some of them derive from the Lufthansa fleet and although they are rather old they have always been updated and maintenance was guaranteed by renowned Lufthansa Technik.

MUC-PIX

Number of messages:
  Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 10 Apr 15:53

The linking of a plane´s age in years to it´s safety status is simply ridiculous. It is created from the generally stupid media talking about an  ...over 15 year old plane...  when any incident happened.

To readers or listeners without this great hobby this sounds like planes can be compared with cars - what is pure bullXXXX as we all know.

I personally prefer my numerous rides on LH´s not really young 737 and 320 series fleet to a ride on an aircraft, young in years and operated by a crap airline in a country without proper rules and inspection systems.

As well I prefer a ride with an airline where it is no question that a plane with major technical malfunctions never gets airborn-even if booked passengers lose their connections.

Look at the large fleet of pax 727´s in the US back in the 90´s. You´ll not find an major incident caused by the age in years of the aircraft - but you´ll find lots of incidents and hull-losses around the world, mostly occured to airlines with very limited fleets.

Another point is crew standards-and there are huge differences between operating an aircraft when everything is fine and reacting to an incident in a professional manner. To hold the highest crew training standards AFTER they became pilots is costly-and it´s a high risk not to be prepared for eventualities in flight properly.

Yepp, I´m german, but my positive thoughts about LH´s standards are not only based on that. I know there are many major airlines with highest standards-if i did´nt I would´nt fly around with them :)

Finally-high and costly standards can be economical-ask many frequent flyers from around the world about high standards and safety. You´ll find not many not to mention LH, among others of course. And all these guys are potential customers.

G-NIKO

Number of messages:
  Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 10 Apr 15:55

Hi Stweart, i se the RAF Lancaster flying with a spitfire and a huricane and there is a DC-3 at airshows, Thats what those aircraft are for, events and airshows.

Spot planes

Number of messages:
  Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 11 Apr 5:10

All aeroplanes can fly practically fly  for ever  provide they are maintained properly. The major reason old planes are flying is the cost of maintenance (engines, time expired metal, etc.)

Werkur737

Number of messages:

Topic: Age of aircraft still flying!! - Sent 13 Apr 5:13

Indonesia on its 23 airlines, has some old ages aircraft on the fleets for commercial airliners, especially for the 737s.

Acces Restriction

It is not possible to post messages to the forum for the moment

© Airfleets.net 2002-2014

[Contact] [Privacy Policy] [Disclaimer] [Advertisement]

The Airport Game - Tourism in Ibiza - Tourisme à Ibiza - Tourism in Menorca  
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com