Search :  

THE SILLY SEASON

Return to the forum index
Post a message for this thread

Share |

captain bill

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 06 Dec 17:21

As it is coming up to Christmas and there might be a shut down on the site, and rather than hear about A380s all the time, I thought we could have a little fun by telling each other something about our flying experiences. I would like to know from you;

1. When was your first flight in a Prop Airliner, what type it was, who the Airline was and from where to where.

2. The same details about your first Jet flight.

3. What was the best flight you have ever had and why and include the same details as above.

4. What was the worst flight you have ever had and why and include the same details as above.

If anyone has done any space travel then we would also like to hear about that.

Mable, Flying with Santa on Christmas eve dose not count neither dose >FLYING< when Everton won the cup.

User profil Private message Suggest deletion    

Mabel

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 06 Dec 17:55

Bill: LOL following your logic, I won't be FLYING anytime soon...at this point we'll do well to avoid relegation and/or bankruptcy.

1. First prop flight I remember was when I was about 8-9. The flight was from Barcelona to Mallorca...don't remember the aircraft or the airline, but I remember the noise and the turbulence.

2. First jet flight (and first flight, period) I remember was on an Iberia 727 from London to Madrid when I was about 6 or 7. I remember being given a set of plastic pin-on wings, which I still have to this day, and I remember looking out the window and being amazed at seeing land and sea from up above.

3. Best flights I ever had were on OZ 2 years ago, LAX-ICN on a 74M and ICN-LAX on a 772. The inflight service in J class was outstanding, even the food was decent. It was the first time I actually felt well-rested after a long-haul flight.

4. The worst flight I ever had was on a Tarom ATR between Chisinov, Moldova and OTP in the mid 1990s when a bunch of us went to Moldova to see England play in a WCQ match. It was only a bit over an hour, but the turbulence was awful and I had the stomach flu to boot. It was the first and only time I got sick on a plane, and it was so bad I had to miss my connecting flight back to LHR and spend a day at a hotel in Bucharest to recover.

Skid Kid

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 06 Dec 21:06

1. 9MAR93 LAX-SAN EGF SF34
2. Can't recall the exact date but it was a TWA B722 SAN-STL
3. 2006. ETH AUH-LGW ETH is great. I really felt pampered. The trip was a present, others thought I was weird to want to fly a certain airline as a present. Perhaps other of you have experienced this as well?
4. US Airways...no surprise there. PHX-DFW. I had purchased a FC ticket and missed my connection because the captain flying the SAN-PHX leg slept in (he lived in SD, and was not at the crew hotel). They said FC was full on the connecting flights so I got stuck in the back (middle seat too) and received no compensation, apologies anything. Only one of the many reasons I avoid AWE whenever possible.

BTW could thread.

captain bill

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 06 Dec 22:16

1. my first prop flight was on 29/11/1972. It was a BEA Viscount 802 G-AOJD BE7711 GLA - BHX

2. my first jet flight was on 17/07/1965. It was an Air Canada DC-8- 43 CF-TJJ AC027 PIK - YYZ

3. my best flight was on 28/07/1972. It was on a BCal 707-340C G-AZPW CA2727 LGW - BUF. I think it was the care and attention I got from the tartan clad girls that made this as one of my special flights. I have had others which stick out in my mind but this one always springs to mind first.

4. my worst flight was 0n 26/02/2009. It was on an Aer Arann ATR-72 EI-RED RE463 flying from ORK - EDI. It was very windy and as we lifted off from ORK the wind lifted us almost in a backward direction and I thought we were going to stoll. It calmed down as we gained hight flying up the Irish coast but as we turned out over The North Channel we had to buckle up as the unstable ATR was being thrown about all over the place. It was bad and the two FAs were also a little scared. On our approach to EDI being thrown all over the sky we hit a wind shear and the speed increased as she dropped a good 20/30 feet. The ATR was brought under control but as we crossed the fence we hit a further wind sheer and the young female first officer flying the aircraft rather than do a go around through it down well over halfway up the runway and with the speed we were doing we were soon going to run out of the black solid stuff. The Captain took over and put on the speed and we cleared the fence at the other side with not a lot to spare. We did a very rough go around over the Forth Bridges out to Kirkcaldy and then joined down wind right hand for short finals where the skipper did a first class full stop landing. I hate the ATR. I've had a few others but nothing like this.

Freshbrook

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 08 Dec 0:06

Having little to do one afternoon at RAF Changi, Singapore some time in 1975/6 I volunteered to help the Navy guys with some training. Met them in the middle of the airfield, was persuaded to be a practice casualty, then found myself hooked up to a line and hoisted up by a hovering Westland Wasp helo. Once rotation set in I was grateful for the  bone-dome  as I bounced off the undercarriage. Once aboard from this short  flight  I was directed to the co-pilot position and with no doors on the Wasp (they would never open if the thing ditched) I was treated to a aerial tour of the island of Singapore, and got an apology for being  mugged . Nice flight, seat straps recommended.

Freshbrook

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 08 Dec 20:56

The alert amongst you would have noted my error, not RAF Changi, it was of course, RAF Tengah, Changi was a commercial airport by then.

Spot planes

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 09 Dec 3:56

1. First prop flight: In 1977 from Manila to San Fernando in a tail dragger. It was part of the package tour of Phillipines. We were then bused to the mountain city of Baguio, Summer Capital of the Philippines. Don't know much about planes then.

2. First jet flight: 1971 in a CP Air DC-8 from HKG to YVR with a stop at HND. My first flight in any plane. Remember open luggage overhead rack, 3 nice large portion Y meals (about 2X current airlines meal) vs today 2 meals in non-stop YVR-HKG, small waiting lounge at HND and Coke was USD$1 per glass.

3. There are many <best> flights for me as my recent flights are in J. One stands out is SYD-SIN in SQ A380 J class. Super wide lay flat seat, great service and food, super quiet and smooth ride, great IFE. Also stand out is NZ YVR-AKL J in a B772. Warmer and personable NZ FAs then the cold <Singapore Girls> in SQ.

4. The worst flight was a communter flight from New York (forgot which airport, not JFK) in a Nord to PHL in a summer storm. The whole 30 minutes flight was like a roller coaster ride.

5. I am adding this catagory <Longest delayed flight>: 4 days. Korean Airlines in 1978 HKG-GMP-HNL-LAX. GMP was fogged in and landed in BUS. Stuck in BUS for 3 days. Finally get to GMP and fight for a seat to LAX. The DC10 to LAX via HNL suffered engine trouble (big bang) on take off roll. Return to airport, spent another day in GMP. KAL was extremely unorganised at that time. It was horrible experience.

FLX

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 09 Dec 12:34

Freshbrook:
Yeah, it's a bit confusing. The civil airport @ Changi(Today's SIN) wasn't even built in 75/76. It opened only fm 81 if I remember correctly. In 75/76, the 1 and only main scheduled commercial airport in Singapore was Paya Lebar. I remember this vividly as I passed thru Paya Lebar on the way to/fm LHR on SQ in 79 and saw a Concorde up-close 1st time ever @ another gate there(A wet-lease by SQ fm BA with a hybrid SQ-BA livery).

Right nex to SIN is the Changi airbase which has been around since WWII. It was a RAF facility until 71 when all U.K. forces based there withdrew and its full admin authorities transferred to the local Singaporean military. Of course, Changi airbase continued to host visiting foreign allied forces such as the Royal Navy after the handover till these days.

RAF Tengah was in the western part of Singapore while Changi is on the Eastern-most tip.

stewart

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 10 Dec 20:37

1. When was your first flight in a Prop Airliner, what type it was, who the Airline was and from where to where.

ATP BA Scotland GLA to MAN 1989

2. The same details about your first Jet flight.

B757 BA LHR to GLA - May 1986

3. What was the best flight you have ever had and why and include the same details as above.

LH FRA to HKG(new) - October 2005. First flight over ten hours, and was in business class. Service excellent.

4. What was the worst flight you have ever had and why and include the same details as above.

TS GLA to YYZ and the rtn - October 1997. Both ways on Tristar. Service was slow (FA ignored call bell), food cold on the way back, two extra stops on the way out at LGW (short notice combination of flights) and Mirabel (refuelling)

rogerroger

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 10 Dec 20:42

1: First flight - easy. It was my honeymoon (so could be my best as well?) in April 64 on a BEA Vanguard G-APET from Heathrow to Le Bourget. We reached an altitude of 14,000 feet !

2: First jet was also BEA - they started flying Comet 4B's on the domestic routes and I came back from Edinburgh in March 67 on G-ARJN. Ground speed of 540 mph, but incredibly noisy I recall; I was probably sitting in about the worst part of the cabin. Those were the days when the cabin crew would pass round a sheet of paper giving details of the flight {We are flying from EDI to LHR at 23,00 feet, etc} I liked the story of the regular flyer who'd collect the sheet on a flight to (say) Belfast and re-circulate it on his next flight to (eg) Inverness, just so he could watch the passengers' horror.

3 Best flight - more difficult. The first time I flew First Class was on an Alia 747 JY-AFB back in Feb 79. This was when the jumbos had circular staircases, a bar, and relaxing sofa-type seats up there. Attentive crews and a very civilized existence. There was good champagne and smoked salmon on Concorde G-BOAE in September 1990 so that was civilized too. But more recently the Etihad 380s are pretty good in Business Class.

4 Worst flight - probably also on a jumbo but with iraqi Airways in March '88 YI-AGN. The flight itself wasn't too bad, but the pre-boarding checks and aggressive security was awful - even removing my tube of toothpaste because  it could be plastic explosive , The security man had shiny teeth though. More recently anything involving Iberia is pretty average. A 340 (EC-GPB) to Buenos Aires in September last year was cramped with very limited seat recline (in Economy)had no in-seat entertainment, inedible food and surly crew. And yet the passengers applauded on landing.

Skid Kid

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 11 Dec 4:05

How can you have flown on the ETH A388? They are not yet in service.

rogerroger

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 11 Dec 10:22

Sorry Skidkid - You're quite right - mis-print - I should have said 340 ! Still a good service though

bojan

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 11 Dec 11:14

Ok, this is my first time making coments on here and I am glad to do it.
1. my first prop flight was back in 1995 exactly 3rd of March 1995 on ATR-42 9A-CTS by Croatia Airlines from PUY to ZAG via a RJK. It was ok flight in a way of my expectations flying on Prop airplanes.

2. my first jet flight was actually also my first flight ever when I was 9 years old back in the winter of 1986 dont remember exact date and it was on DC-9 YU-AHJ by ex JAT Yugoslav Airlines from ZAG to PUY via a ZAD. I remember seating at the very front of the airplane and as we made stop in Zadar(ZAD) I wanted to see the cocpit of the plane and the FA's took me there and I felt very special at the time.

3. my best flight ever was when I went for a first time in the USA and it was on B772 N775UA by United Airlines from FRA to ORD on 17th of October 2003. Fa's were very pleasent and the food was good and planty and flight was very smooth.

4. my worst flight ever, hm , hm I had a few, three that I remember but maybe the worst of all was on A320 I-BIKF by Alitalia from FCO to TRS on 15th of May 2011. Well, we borded the plane and we stayed first in the plane for about 45 minutes then we finally taxied to the runway. It was a stromy weather. We Finally lifted up and as soon we lifted up we started our rodeo jurney. We didn't stop going up and down and left and right until we touch down Trieste. Lightenings, rain etc..all the time FA's didn't even do service. They started but after a few minutes they apologized and said they can not continnue with the service.

Those were my short experiances.....:)

kiwi59

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 11 Dec 12:48

1. Frist prop flight.F27 FriendshipMK500 NAC CHC-WLG 1964

2. Frist jet flight. B727-200 Ansett Airlines MEL-SYD 1974

3. Best flight ever. Concorde AF4605 STR-CDG via North Sea 01-05
1998 F-BVFA got up to March2 over the North Sea didn't fly into
space but pretty near to it.....

4.Worst flight.B767-300 QF120 AKL-SYD 06-01-2005 VH-OGE
Very turbulent flight across the Tasman Sea nearly all the way
to SYD.....

Lisa

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 14 Dec 3:00

1. First prop flight: Fokker F50 of DLT(DW/DLT) from München to Zürich in 1989 on a trip with my father :)

2. First jet flight (and first flight, period) . From Amsterdam to Toronto-Pearson-YYZ in 1989 on DC-10-30 Canadian Airlines (CD/CDN) with my father :)

3. Best flights were working with Emirates airline in 2008 on A330s the special ones from Dubai-DXB to Colombo-Sri Lanka and then to Malé-MLE-Maldives as a flight attendant, this is the most flown route i ever did working with EK and the best time ever of my life till now because everything was so new to me with my job and i enjoyed every minute of it :)

4. The worst flight i ever had were with American Airlines like the AAL1984 MIA-YUL this year 2011 the flight attendant simply dropped the tray in front of me, was a so early morning flight and for my sadness my friend, Gisele Koch which works for AAL as f/a was not on that flight her base is MIA she lives in FLL-Fort Lauderdale, then i told her the name of the f/a i have discussed and argued why so agressive she was, even for a so early morning flight, about 5am, i couldn´t get that courtesy that we all f/a can have :(

I am an East-Berlin ex-RDA German born that then moved to MTL-Montréal and also lived in Dubai-UAE and worked with EK before get into TSC. As living in MTL with Canadian citizenship i still go visit often my mother there in Berlin, DE. :)

jameshcm

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 14 Dec 14:58

First Prop flight - BEA Vanguard G-APEB EDI-LHR 1968

First Jet flight - BEA Trident One G-ARPX GLA-LHR 1968

Best Flight - BCAL in 1st Class HKG-LGW 1984. Their cabin crew were the envy of the world

In J class - I would agree with the choice of OZ across the Pacific. Emirates score high because of the limousine service.

In Y class - SQ upstairs on an empty A380 (9V-SKC) SIN-LHR-SIN

Worst flight - BA from YYZ-LHR, Y class, packed, totally disinterested crew on overnight flight, never eaten an egg at breakfast on a plane since.

matt757

Number of messages:
  Topic: THE SILLY SEASON - Sent 02 Jan 10:00

First Prop Flight SR (but operated by Crossair) SF340 ZRH-BSL July 1990

First Jet Flight BA (757? might [just about] have been a Trident?) GLA-LHR September 1985

Best Flight First (and only comercial) Cockpit Visit on BA5403 BAC1-11 G-AXJK on Christmas Eve 1990 ZRH-BHX. Still vividly remember the Altimeter at exactly 31000 Feet.

Worst Flight can't really recall anything sticking out, though I'll put down AF1980 24 July 2010, as the biggest letdown when the A380 that was supposed to operate my CDG-LHR Flight went Tech, and I instead ended up on a 77W (F-GZNA). Albeit, it remains my only Flight on a 777, but it was still somewhat of a disapointment, not least as my original Seat assignment had been a Window seat in the C Section upstairs (I only bought a one way fare, so my more expensive [than those on Apex fares] Ticket got me one of the better seats), but I ended up in an Aisle Seat in Premium Economy.

Post a message for this thread

To post a message, you must be logged in , if you are not yet a member Click here to register

Email :

Password :

Topic
THE SILLY SEASON

Your message Insert a smiley

By posting a message on this forum, you agree expressly that your message can be removed by site administrators, due to moderaiton concerns, without justification of reason. You agree that your write access to the forum can be blocked due to several complaints from users related to your posts. Finally, it is forbidden to create additional user accounts if the original is restricted.

Messages must be written in english. Messages written in an another language will be deleted.
Post only messages related to the civil aviation, and do not insert any ad. Your IP is logged.
You can custom your text by using the following codes
[B]Your text[/B] : Text in bold
[I]Your text[/I] : Text in italic
[U]Your text[/U] : Text underline
[S]Your text[/S] : Text striketough

© Airfleets.net 2002-2014

[Contact] [Privacy Policy] [Disclaimer] [Advertisement]

The Airport Game - Tourism in Ibiza - Tourisme à Ibiza - Tourism in Menorca  
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com