Search :  

Stool Class One Step Closer to Reality

Return to the forum index
Post a message for this thread

Share |

Mabel

Number of messages:
  Topic: Stool Class One Step Closer to Reality - Sent 13 Sep 21:31

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/09/13/semi-standing-seats-proposed-passenger-planes/?test=faces

I've heard and read about the possibility of airlines (e.g. Ryanair) introducing a standing-room or stool seat area and thought it was nothing more than PR-seeking B.S., but the above link shows photos of saddle-style seats actually designed by an Italian company. At least the seats have backs, but the saddle design freaks me out (as it should freak all us blokes out), as severe turbulence or hard landings could result in indescribable pain and possible sterility to male passengers! I think even Mr O'Leary would pass on this design...

User profil Private message Suggest deletion    

Freshbrook

Number of messages:
  Topic: Stool Class One Step Closer to Reality - Sent 14 Sep 22:13

Well, at least the lady in the photograph seems to have a smile on her face. A ladies only area perhaps?

Seriously, can someone with suitable contacts sound out the regulators responsible for air safety and discover whether this apparent lunacy is likely to see acceptance by any regulatory body anywhere in the world?

Perhaps we could come up with even more bizarre means of human transportation by air, rivalling MoL>s craziest ideas.

What about taking the Japanese low cost hotel concept into the air, packing lay-flat passengers into main deck containers and amusing them with IFE, air-conditioning but no food or drink, as getting to the toilets might be a bit of a problem. Oh, and persons of larger girth may have to be excluded.......

Sillier suggestions are most welcome.

captain bill

Number of messages:
  Topic: Stool Class One Step Closer to Reality - Sent 14 Sep 8:16

An airline seat has a lot of specification attached to it regarding it's strength, fitting to the floor and fire restrictions but how it looks and what few or many features it has is the subject of local Civil Aviation regulators.

One thing it must be able to do is to allow the passenger to sit firmly belted into the seat and have no restriction for the passenger if the brace position has to be adopted.

Now Mabel your a big guy (tall) , I'm a big guy (fat) how easy is it for people like us to adopt the brace position in a standard economy cabin with any airline on any aircraft so how will it be in the Cowboy Jimmy Joe O'Leary perching stools ?

Can you sit on them with you both feet on the floor in the brace position ? If so then we will see them on some of the LCC's aircraft.

FLX

Number of messages:
  Topic: Stool Class One Step Closer to Reality - Sent 14 Sep 8:17

Freshbrook:
I hv explained a while ago on this forum why multi-level lie-flat cubicule/bunk bed designs in main cabin won't work for Y class<Single-level designs work but today they're known as/sold @ F and C/J fares>. Such designs always involve some kinda of steps or mini-stairs and are very difficult to get into/out of due to very limited space<Basically like tyring to get into/out of a large coffin fm a side opening>. Ease+safety of access are the main issues particularly for elderly, very young or very large pax. Such pax types are not a tiny group unlike pax with physical disabilities, can airlines legally discriminate such pax and refuse carriage? I highly doubt it<May be legal in where U live but definitely not in many nations I hv been to...>.

Capsule hotels in Japan<Or anywhere> is a diff story. Unlike scheduled pax flight where op authorities are granted based on promise to provide transportation to ALL members of the general public regardless of age & physical conditions, hotel accommodations are pure private ventures/properties/non-essentials that can legally determine their own guest admittance stds.

Mabel

Number of messages:
  Topic: Stool Class One Step Closer to Reality - Sent 14 Sep 16:26

Captain Bill, I see your point about the brace position. It's not possible with your feet on the floor in a semi-standing position unless you're very flexible (which most of us are not). Another flaw in the Italian design (besides inability to brace and crushed family jewels in heavy turbulence) is that being in a semi-standing position for several hours on end increases the probability of inadequate circulation and deep vein thrombosis.

Post a message for this thread

To post a message, you must be logged in , if you are not yet a member Click here to register

Email :

Password :

Topic
Stool Class One Step Closer to Reality

Your message Insert a smiley

By posting a message on this forum, you agree expressly that your message can be removed by site administrators, due to moderaiton concerns, without justification of reason. You agree that your write access to the forum can be blocked due to several complaints from users related to your posts. Finally, it is forbidden to create additional user accounts if the original is restricted.

Messages must be written in english. Messages written in an another language will be deleted.
Post only messages related to the civil aviation, and do not insert any ad. Your IP is logged.
You can custom your text by using the following codes
[B]Your text[/B] : Text in bold
[I]Your text[/I] : Text in italic
[U]Your text[/U] : Text underline
[S]Your text[/S] : Text striketough

Airfleets.net 2002-2014

[Contact] [Privacy Policy] [Disclaimer] [Advertisement]

The Airport Game - Tourism in Ibiza - Tourisme Ibiza - Tourism in Menorca  
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com