Search :  

VH-OJK

Return to the forum index
Post a message for this thread

Share |

jc747400

Number of messages:

Topic: VH-OJK - Sent 29 Apr 13:36

Gday guys, this was the QF a/c which had the explosion and now in storage apparently..anyone know where? This I understand was not the only incident, OJK was known as the QF cursed airliner ...

User profil Private message Suggest deletion    

matt757

Number of messages:
  Topic: VH-OJK - Sent 29 Apr 18:32

There's a picture of it boarded up on airliners.net in February at Victorville, Southern California.

FLX

Number of messages:
  Topic: VH-OJK - Sent 30 Apr 9:28

Obviously I'm no expert in aircraft structure but I'm guessing it must be very tricky/difficult/expensive to repair damages due to violent explosion inside the fuselage. While many structural pieces+system+wirings deep within the hull may still be functioning, some must hv been compromised but invisible/hard to detect whether if they're still airworthy or meet tolerance specs.

QF will probably need to completely disassemble large fuselage sections<Down to every nut & bolt> in order to restore VH-OJK properly IMHO. Since all 744s<Excluding the 744ERs> @ QF are pretty close to frontline service retirement age, I wouldn't be surprised if VH-OJK is getting an early retirement instead of a very costly repair.....it'll still be a good source of expensive parts for fellow 744 airframes still remaining in the QF fleet.

oldbold

Number of messages:
  Topic: VH-OJK - Sent 01 May 11:53

As well as the six -438ERs, Qantas has three 1999-vintage 438s.
My guess is that these are the nine aircraft that will have their internal fittings upgraded next year to eliminate First Class, and remain in service on some routes for another five or more years. See:- http://www.aviationrecord.com/SearchResults/tabid/37/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2410/Qantas-to-revamp-747-A380-seats-service.asp

* Nine B747-400 will be upgraded and fitted with Qantas’ A380 standard seats and inflight product, including a fully flat Skybed sleeper seat in Business, an award-winning Marc Newson designed and Recaro manufactured seat in Economy and state-of-the-art on-demand Panasonic inflight entertainment in all classes.

* First class cabins in the 747s will be removed and Business seats installed in their place the three-class configuration will offer 359 seats (58 Business, 36 Premium Economy and 265 Economy), an increase of 52 seats overall.

FLX

Number of messages:
  Topic: VH-OJK - Sent 02 May 11:38

oldbold:
Thx for the update. Yes, I recall the cabin mod plans for the younger QF 744s. I think the plan makes sense as QF does hv quite a few routes such as Buenos Ares+JNB<->AU that are:
1) Sub-388 sized
2) Very difficult/inefficient to operate ETOPS
3) Havng nearly non-existent ultra-premium traffic<i.e. F-fare>
4) with few competitors operating types on the same routes that are significantly more payload efficient than 744/744ER.

EI-DUB

Number of messages:
  Topic: VH-OJK - Sent 02 May 12:07

She did return to service between the two incidents and storage though!!

cheese man

Number of messages:
  Topic: VH-OJK - Sent 03 May 8:17

I went on VH-OJB

Post a message for this thread

To post a message, you must be logged in , if you are not yet a member Click here to register

Email :

Password :

Topic
VH-OJK

Your message Insert a smiley

By posting a message on this forum, you agree expressly that your message can be removed by site administrators, due to moderaiton concerns, without justification of reason. You agree that your write access to the forum can be blocked due to several complaints from users related to your posts. Finally, it is forbidden to create additional user accounts if the original is restricted.

Messages must be written in english. Messages written in an another language will be deleted.
Post only messages related to the civil aviation, and do not insert any ad. Your IP is logged.
You can custom your text by using the following codes
[B]Your text[/B] : Text in bold
[I]Your text[/I] : Text in italic
[U]Your text[/U] : Text underline
[S]Your text[/S] : Text striketough

© Airfleets.net 2002-2014

[Contact] [Privacy Policy] [Disclaimer] [Advertisement]

The Airport Game - Tourism in Ibiza - Tourisme à Ibiza - Tourism in Menorca  
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com